August 22nd, 2011
Everyone loves fun facts and dental tips. Fun, fun, fun! Dr. Baruffi and our team at Southcenter Dental came across these dental fun facts recently and thought you might enjoy!
• The second most common disease in the United States is cavities. The first is the common cold.
• There are almost 9,000 accidental pockings and piercings with toothpicks per year.
• X-rays may be an effective tool in preventing strokes.
• A child will have 20 baby teeth by the time he or she is 2 years old. Through childhood, kids gradually lose baby teeth and grow 32 permanent teeth, including wisdom teeth.
• According to consumer reports, dentists are among the 5 most trusted professionals in the United States.
• Approximately $2 billion a year is spent on dental products like toothpastes, mouthwashes and dental floss.
• The average American spends about 38 days brushing teeth over his or her lifetime.
• Kids in North America spend half a billion dollars per year on chewing gum.
• Approximately 94 percent of Americans say they brush nightly while only 81 percent say they brush first thing in the morning.
• Grand Rapids, MI was the first American city to fluoridate its water.
• Earliest record of a toothbrush was found in Chinese literature about 1600 AD
• The natural bristles of early toothbrushes were taken from the necks and shoulders of swine, especially pigs living in colder climates like Siberia and China.
August 16th, 2011
What could possibly beat summer? A bright white smile, of course. A whiter smile is one just one dentist visit away at Southcenter Dental! A whiter smile is one just one dentist visit away! ZOOM! Smile Whitening, available at Southcenter Dental, brightens and whitens your teeth in just 45 minutes. Once you have gone through the Zoom! treatment we will send you home with an at-home whitening bleaching kit with custom made trays. Using the take home trays will allow you to maintain your desired level of whitening over several months.
While Zoom! Smile Whitening is a great way to enhance the appearance of your smile, it’s not always for everyone. Those with deep, dark stains that remain unaffected by whitening treatments and patients with regular tooth sensitivity may not be good candidates. Find out more about Zoom! Smile Whitening at our web site; and when you are ready to have a whiter, brighter smile contact Dr. Baruffi & our team at Southcenter Dental for an evaluation!
And be sure to check out other teeth whitening options available at our Tukwila dental office!
Have a great week!
August 8th, 2011
At Southcenter Dental, we know dental emergencies are never convenient or timely. If you are a patient of record, Dr. Baruffi and team are committed to your dental health and are more than willing to see you.
We are here to help you, any time, any day, and when your dental health is at risk, we’ll do everything we can to make sure that you’re treated as soon as possible. While dental emergencies are rare, we know they can happen at any moment, and it’s important to know how to take care of your teeth no matter what.
Common dental emergencies include:
• A bitten lip or tongue
• Broken or cracked tooth/teeth
• Broken jaw
• Permanent tooth that has been knocked out
• Object caught between teeth
• Severe toothache
If you have a dental emergency after regular office hours, please give us a call. If you are calling us after hours, please follow the emergency prompts to contact Dr. Baruffi. We proudly serve patients from Tukwila, Seattle, Renton and Burien, among other surrounding communities.
We hope you’re all enjoying your summer.
August 2nd, 2011
We know one word nobody wants to hear when they visit Southcenter Dental is Cavity! That’s right, the dreaded cavity; but what exactly are cavities and how do they happen? A cavity is a hole that develops in a tooth when the tooth begins to decay. It’s important to get a cavity filled as soon as it’s detected so that it does not grow bigger.
So, what causes a cavity? A cavity is caused by plaque, a sticky substance that forms on the tooth as a result of germ and bacteria build-up. Plaque is acidic and as it clings to your teeth the acids eat away the outside of the tooth (also called the enamel) and a hole is formed.
Yes, cavities can be repaired by Dr. Baruffi, but here are a few simple steps you can take to prevent cavities at home:
• Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste at least twice daily
• Gently brush your gums to keep them healthy (when choosing a toothbrush it is recommended to use soft bristles)
• Floss your teeth at least once a day to remove plaque and food that may be caught between the teeth where your toothbrush can’t reach
• Limit the amount of soda and sugary treats you eat/drink
• Be sure to visit our Tukwila office every six months – or as recommended – for a teeth cleaning and check-up
We also proudly serve Renton, Kent and the greater Seattle area.